Wednesday, July 7, 2010

In Loving Memory

Dear Friends,

As you may know, we lost our beloved father and Shel-Al Campground President Ed Luck on July 5, 2010. He died peacefully, and we are very grateful for that simple blessing. We are also grateful that Dad was feeling great and enjoying a busy summer here at the Campground right up until he became ill and was hospitalized on July 4th. Earlier that morning, he was at his usual table at Betty's Kitchen, having his customary breakfast surrounded by friends.

The fact that Dad was so positive, upbeat and full of life right up to the end makes his passing easier for those of us he leaves behind. Yet the relative suddenness of his death is making it a challenge for us just to get through the day. Please forgive us if we are not fully available to talk right now. We are feeling the need to grieve privately, so that we can muster up the energy we need to keep the business running smoothly during these busiest weeks of the season. We know in our hearts that this is what Dad would have wanted - to welcome our guests to Shel-Al with a smile, just as he has done since 1965.

Many of you have asked about funeral arrangements. Calling hours are Sunday, July 11 from 4:00 - 7:00 PM at Remick & Gendron Funeral Home in Hampton. Services will be held on Monday, July 12 at 11:00 at Remick & Gendron, followed by a reception at Betty's Kitchen, North Hampton.

People also have been asking what they can do for us. We know that many of you have known Dad for years, if not decades. So please write down a favorite story or memory that you would like to share. We look forward to reading these when we have some quiet moments to reflect on the rich, long life our one-of-a-kind Dad, and how many lives he touched.

Thank you all for your support and understanding during this difficult time. Your kindness is very much appreciated by us all.


- The Shel-Al Family

11 comments:

  1. we at 32 seabreeze miss you and thank you for taking us into your heart love b/d/silkie/ whiney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael BrindamourJuly 7, 2010 at 7:27 PM

    When I was a teenager working at Wilbur's Countryside Diner, Ed always had a smile for me and was great to see him every day. My sympathies to your family during this time, and keep the good times in your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every year for 17 years our family have spent a week or two at Shel Al. Ed became part of our family. The kids loved to see him each year. Self made men are hard to find. He was one in a million.

    We will miss him.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael and RosemaryJuly 8, 2010 at 6:45 AM

    We always looked for that distinct license plate
    up and down Rte. 1. We will miss seeing his wave and smiling face coming down Sandpiper Path.
    You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    Michael & Rosemary Shields

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts and prayers are with your family!

    Ed always had a hug for me and my children everytime we saw him. He was always smiling and very kind. There's not many people who had his warmth.

    Wendy Fracassi
    Cole and Tess

    ReplyDelete
  6. New Hampshire Campground Owners'Association sends thoughts and prayers to Ed's family & friends. I remember fondly my visit with Ed last summer when I stopped at the campground. I left with a "fire starter for Rednecks", as gift from Ed that sits on my office desk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul and Kristina BowesJuly 8, 2010 at 3:35 PM

    Heartfelt sympathies from our family to yours..
    Everytime I walked into the office he always greeted me warmly, always asked about our twin boys. I always joked that I was going to send them over to him..he can put them to work..lol He will be so missed, It won't be the same not seeing him out and about. There is certainly a huge hole in this town and our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. William Green and Amanda Perry and our 4 daughtersJuly 11, 2010 at 11:35 AM

    My family and I had our first family get away on July 7 at your campground! It was a wonderful experience and we have adopted your campground as our yearly family vacation. We send our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of such a highly spoken of gentleman. God bless and we will see you all before the summer ends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although I have never camped at Shel-Al. Just looking through your website was enjoying. then when I went on the Blog. I read of your sad news. My deepest sympathies. It looks like a wonderful place to camp. Family owned business are a rare and beautiful thing. Hope to visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shelly and Allie..
    I am so sorry to hear about Papa as I called him...You know how I feel abou your father. I am so grateful that I was able to see him in June..I cant wait to see you both and give you a big hug..You all are in my thoughts and prayers..God Bless and God Speed...

    Jennifer Barnett and family

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so sad to call this morning and find out that Dad had passed away…

    Ever since we started camping in your campground in 1999 and, no matter where we travel and camp in other states, we always came back and said “Shel-Al” is the best!
    We really felt the warmth of Ed in the whole campground.

    He always hugged my children and me, always smiling. He was a special and kind gentleman!

    He will always be remembered and missed! Camping will not be the same without seeing him!

    Mary, Samir, Helen Rezk

    ReplyDelete